CI Dual Language & Immersion Programs
CI's participation in DL/I programs in Chatham County Public School System:
- Heaven Elementary School
- DeRene Middle School
- Myers Middle School
The focus of dual language/immersion programs is to help students become proficient in a target language, in addition to English. These students master subject content from other disciplines, using the target language or both languages.
- All students develop high levels of proficiency in the target language and English.
- Academic performance of students is at or above grade level.
- Students demonstrate positive cross-cultural attitudes and behaviors.
The Benefits of DLI
- Second Language Skills: DLI students achieve higher proficiency in the second language than with traditional Foreign Language instruction.
- Cognitive Skills: DLI students typically develop greater cognitive flexibility, demonstrating increased attention and memory, superior problem-solving skills as well as an enhanced understanding of their primary language.
- Performance on Standardized Tests: DLI students perform as well as or better than English-only students on standardized tests in English, including students from a range of socioeconomic and ethnic backgrounds, as well as with diverse cognitive and linguistic abilities.
- Intercultural Competency: DLI students are more aware of and generally show more positive attitudes towards other cultures and an appreciation of other people.
- Long-Term Benefits: DLI students are better prepared for the global community and job markets in the 21st century.
- Higher Attendance-Rates and Fewer Drop-Outs: Students from DLI programs have higher attendance rates and lower drop-out rates compared to regular programs.
(Georgia Department of Education)